If you are starving for an amazing and luscious vegan and gluten-free meal , you will love these lentil pumpkin bowl. This veg course is easy to assemble and simply impressive. Perfect for your any occasion or dinner. During the festive season, we look for something different along with traditional meals. If you are a veg then these pumpkin bowls might become your new tradition for the holiday season. Flavorsome thyme lentils stuffed in pumpkin. Pumpkin can be stuffed else by whatever you want like rice, quinoa will also b good option.
Selection of pumpkin should be done carefully as it is the base ingredient of recipe. Go for a flat white pumpkin as they are more luscious than small orange pumpkins. Try to avoid round and tall pumpkin then your bowls might be too big. During selection of a pumpkin consider its diameter as its one half should fit in one plate as it would give more good look to your dish.
Based on your regular diet fondness you will also need some cubed tofu or feta. Feta cheese can be preferred to mix with lentils as it is more tasty.
There are many kinds of lentils which you can easily choose according to your taste. But try to avoid red lentils as they mix up with pumpkin and may give not so good look. Black or brown lentils work excellent.
I hope everyone will get impress by this dish at your table.
LENTIL PUMPKIN BOWLS (Vegan & Gluten Free)Print This
- 1 flat small pumpkin
- 1 cup lentils (any kind, black looks better)
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets (100g)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup cubed tofu or feta
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil for the pumpkin + 1-2 more for the mix
- chili powder (optional)
- handful of rocket salad leaves (optional)
- Heat up oven to 200 ºC / 400 ºF
- Cut the pumpkin from middle in to two halves, screw out the seeds and cut the stem off for flat bottom. Pierce with fork Centre of the bowl for proper soft inside so that no difficulty occur to eat with lentil..
- Apply olive oil and salt vigorously to each half of pumpkin. Bake them by placing on baking sheet in pre heat oven.
- While your pumpkin is cooking, prepare the lentils mix. Put some drops of olive oil into pan on medium high heat. Add the lentils, salt, pepper and 2 cups of water. Cook for about 15 minutes or until almost all the water has evaporated, but not all of it.
- Now add thyme and broccoli and some more salt and steam cook for 5min. You can also add some chili which is optional.
- Add the tofu or feta cubes and cook for another 2-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the pomegranate seeds (you might want to save some to sprinkle on top of the pumpkin bowls).
- Now that your pumpkin is cooked, place each half in a plate. Fill up each pumpkin bowl with the lentils mix.
Two halves of one pumpkin makes two bowls. If you are cooking for more people double the ingredients and get one more pumpkin.