Five spice powder is a spice mixture of five or more spices used primarily in Chinese and Taiwanese cuisine and also used less commonly in other Asian countries. You can use Chinese five spice powder in variety of dishes to give them a mouth-watering taste. Check the Five Spice Prawns Recipe that has made with the help of 5-spice powder.
Five spice may be used with fatty meats and in cocktails as well. It is used as a spice rub for chicken, duck and seafood, in red cooking recipes. The five-spice powder mixture has followed the Chinese exodus and has been include into other national cuisines throughout Asia.
Usually we buy this powder from market but making your own makes a better flavor. Here is the simple and easy recipe that would help you to make five spice powder recipe at home.
Chinese Five Spice Powder RecipePrint This
- 1 tsp whole star anise
- 1 tsp Sichuan Pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 6-10 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- Measure all ingredients to start.
- Place a dry pan over medium high heat, place spices in pan, breaking up cinnamon and star anise.
- When the spices get heated you will be drawn over the pan, inhaling the scent. Notice little black seeds coming out of the Sichuan pepper some cook remove these black seeds before cooking.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour the spices into a plate to cool.
- Once cooled, place in spice grinder and buzz it up.